Friday, September 24, 2010

Sometimes You Have to Climb a Tree

I was talking to my neighbor the other night and he was expressing his frustration with "southern Christian culture" - that Christians tend to drive nonbelievers away because we choose to condemn rather than embrace. And, he added, that mindset is the opposite of what the Christian faith really represents. Christ loved and associated with even the most base in society. He saw beyond sin to the heart and spent time in the presence of sinners without accusing or harboring bitterness toward them. He simply loved, and His love transformed the sinner, not a set of rules or a compelling argument. There were times when he was angry with corruption in the world, but his anger and correction was righteous because of disobedience to God, not because of personal pride. A lot of the animosity I see in believers toward those whose views or lifestyle differ from their own comes more from an attitude of "you should be living like me" than "I want to see your heart changed by the Gospel." (And I include myself in this observation because I've been guilty of it as well.)

My neighbor is not a Christian, so this impression has obviously impacted his decision on whether or not to pursue Christianity. He mentioned that he understands it's human nature to be "intracellular" and stick to who you know, what you know, and to have a hard time embracing what is outside your comfort zone, but it's the Christian's purpose to live differently. I could only agree that many Christians do come at the world with this condescending attitude and that it is the antithesis of what we're about. I told him one thing I really appreciate about my church is their heart and mission for people, and their determination to simply show God's love, not to primarily correct and convert. Sadly, I think this mentality is present in our churches. It's God's love that is transforming, not us - I am glad to be a part of a community that seeks to keep that in mind.

After I talked to him I remembered an insight JD shared the other week about the story of Zacchaeus. He was talking about the part where Zacchaeus climbs the tree to see Jesus as He passes by because he is "short of stature." JD pointed out (and this was only a side note, but it really stuck with me) that if Zacchaeus's only problem was that he was short of stature, he could have moved his way to the front of the crowd and stood in front of people since they could easily see over his head. No, he climbs to the top of the tree because he wouldn't dare push past people who consider him scum of society as a tax collector--they would never allow it. Up there, he can be away from people who criticize and hate him so he can have a better view. But Jesus didn't care about Zacchaeus's social standing. He walked up to the tree and said, "Zacchaeus, you come down!" (So the song goes...) And he walked with Zacchaeus back to his home to visit with him. The point here is that Zacchaeus was surrounded by ridicule and contempt from people who considered him a thief and a lowlier sinner than themselves, but he got away from them because he only wanted to see Jesus. Sometimes you have to put distance between yourself and those who can't see past sin so that you can see Him for who HE is. I genuinely believe there are Christians out there who earnestly live out the Gospel, and I hope to be able to help my neighbor see that too. I struggle to love like Christ loved Zacchaeus because of my own hard heart sometimes. But as a Christian, like this nonbeliever had to remind me, I am called to fight against that sinful human nature.

Let's make it so people don't have to climb a tree to see Jesus. And if they do...let's take our cues from Him, usher them down, and show them what Christ's love is all about.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

good post! I LOVE the new look! it's niiice!!!! (Borat says that)

Sarah said...

Christen,

thank you so much for sharing this insight . . . I must say that I'm guilty of automatically having the mindset of correct and convert, yet (as you said), this was not Christ's M.O.

I think it's so awesome that you got to have this discussion with your neighbor, and that he is comfortable with you - thank you for sharing this, I think we all need to hear it, and it definitely is challenging me.